Hello and Good Day to you,
Libby Lehman returns October 10 and 11! Reserve your spot now. A two-day class is planned, plus an evening lecture/ trunk show. Check out: http://libbylehman.us/ClassInfo.html
We are helping ConKerr Cancer, making pillowcases. Like to help? Free pattern in this newsletter or at the shop or use your own pattern. Drop off pillowcases you make at the shop. Janice (ConKerr Cancer coordinator) will pick them up about once a month and give them to kids with cancer or other serious illness.
CLOSEOUT SPECIAL ON BERNINA ACTIVA SEWING MACHINES
ACTIVA 220, 230 PATCHWORK EDITION AND 240. GREAT AS A SECOND MACHINE
NO Saturday Sampler meeting in July. Pick up your block after July 3rd.
Hand Quilting Saturday June 19th 10am-1pm
Joni Osborn Learn the time honored tradition of hand quilting. Joni will show you how. Learn about which needle and thread to use, thimble or not, frame or not.
Kids sewing camp June 21-25 9am-5pmKids Sewing Camp with CeCe Johnson June 21-25 9am-5pm
Kids will make three projects during the week, a patchwork doll quilt, a pillowcase and a potholder. CeCe will teach sewing skills, measuring, and accuracy during the class. She will talk about nutrition, the importance of taking a break, and lead a short field trip to Columbia Produce. Each child will use a Bernette 46 in class and take it home at the end of the week. Cost $350 Snacks and lunch provided. Fabric is included.
Humbug Bag June 25. Friday night and Saturday June 25th or 26th, join us and make a Humbug Bag. This is a fun and easy bag with great potential for embellishment. Try some bobbin work to decorate it. Use our classroom Bernina Activa sewing machines, There is a $7 kit fee. Bernina expert Callie will lead this great class.
Friday 6pm-9pm, Saturday 10am-1pm or 2:30pm-5:30pm.
Intermediate Quilting Monday June 28 10am-12pm or 6pm-8pm
Meets the last Monday of every month to make the block. Learn new block types and new techniques to increase your quilting skills.
Wendy West $7 each
|Fun & Done Thursday July 15 11am-4pm
Choose your pattern and make using a great quilt-as-you-go method.
While you piece your top, you are also quilting it! Sew the blocks and rows together and you’re done.
Wendy West $30. Choose from 5 different patterns
Tessellations Saturday July 17 10am-4pm
Stunning simplicity. Interlocking geometric shapes that create negative and positive of itself. Use two colors or create a scrap quilt.
Lydia Sorenson $30
Beginning Quilting Monday July 19 or Saturday July 24 10am-4pm
Pick from two table runners. Blockade is for beginners with no experience, Hidden Charms is for beginners who have a little experience. (Every level welcome!) Learn cutting, measuring, piecing, reading a pattern, quilting, and binding. Wendy West $30
|Homespun Quilts 108 10th Street, Astoria, OR 97103
Baby Fingers Thursday July 22 10am-4pm
Cute simple little baby quilt or cover. Use color coordinated strips or scraps.
Pillowcase the easy way. (aka the Hotdog method) Or Aunt Fanny’s Pillowcase Pattern
¾ yard (body) focus fabric
1/3 yard cuff fabric
1/8 yard trim (if desired)
- Press all fabrics. If using trim, fold trim fabric in half-lengthwise right sides together and press.
- Layer fabric with cut edges together making sure the edges match as follows:
- Cuff fabric on bottom, right side up (one layer),
- Trim (if used) folded.
- Body wrong sides together (one right side down on cuff, the other right side up to you)
- Baste layers if desired
- Roll up body fabric so it fits on top the cuff fabric.
- Fold right sides of cuff fabric (the bun) together enclosing the body fabric (the hot dog) and stitch the layers together. (or serge) I use two lines of stitching since the cuff takes a lot of abuse. You now have a tube of the cuff fabric with the body fabric inside. Hot Dog!
- Pull the body fabric from the inside to the outside.
- Press the cuff, then fold the long edges together and trim selvedges from each side. With wrong sides of body fabric, together and matching cuff and trim (if used) sew the sides together (or serge) with a ½” seam. Be sure and backstitch! Trim raw edges. Turn pillowcase and press!
- Drop off at the shop!
|Open Sew-Every Wednesday 10am-4pm
Machine Embroidery Club-2nd Tuesday 10am
Saturday Sampler - June 5th 9:30am--Atlantis
- June 5th 10am--Ella Mae’s Sampler
Redwork/Embroidery Club 3rd Friday 10am
Lighthouse for Kids-4th Friday 10am-2pm (last mtg until Sept.)
We started carrying Fons & Porter magazine.
Click here for back issues of our newsletter.